At Kitchener Street Dental, we believe it is very important to protect your teeth, lips, soft tissue and jaw when playing sports. When playing sports, it is almost inevitable that you will experience a few knocks and bumps (some worse than others) whilst having the time of your life. Protecting your teeth during this fun is as easy as wearing a custom-made dental mouthguard.
These mouthguards will assist in stabilising and balancing your neck making strong impact to your jaw, teeth, lips and soft tissue not as bad.
At Kitchener Street Dental, we offer a variety of colours are available and minimal wait time. So, what are you waiting for? Start protecting your teeth today so you can play sports without the worry of losing a tooth.
Mouthguards are protective devices designed to cover and cushion the teeth, gums, and jaws from impact during contact sports or other physical activities. They can help prevent injuries to the teeth, lips, cheeks, tongue, and jaw, and also reduce the risk of concussion.
When a person wears a mouthguard, it creates a cushion between the upper and lower teeth, which helps to absorb and distribute the force of an impact. This can help prevent the teeth from cracking, chipping, or being knocked out. Additionally, the mouthguard can help prevent injuries to the soft tissues in the mouth by providing a barrier between the teeth and the lips, cheeks, and tongue.
There are several types of mouthguards available, including stock mouthguards, boil-and-bite mouthguards, and custom-made mouthguards. Custom-made mouthguards, which are made by a dentist based on an impression of the wearer's teeth, offer the best protection and comfort, as they are designed to fit the wearer's mouth precisely. It is important to choose a mouthguard that fits properly and is comfortable to wear, as a poorly fitting mouthguard can increase the risk of injury.
Custom-made mouthguards from a dentist offer a better fit, are made of higher-quality materials, and can be tailored to the specific needs of the wearer, while store-bought mouthguards are typically a one-size-fits-all solution with lower-quality materials.
The benefits of wearing a mouthguard include:
1. Protecting teeth: Mouthguards create a cushion between the upper and lower teeth, which can help prevent teeth from cracking, chipping, or being knocked out during contact sports or physical activities.
2. Preventing injuries: Mouthguards can also help prevent injuries to the lips, cheeks, tongue, and jaw by providing a barrier between the teeth and the soft tissues of the mouth.
3. Reducing the risk of concussion: Mouthguards can help absorb and distribute the force of an impact, which may reduce the risk of concussion or other head injuries.
4. Improving breathing and oxygen flow: Some types of mouthguards are designed to improve breathing and oxygen flow, which can be particularly beneficial for athletes who need to perform at their best.
5. Reducing teeth grinding: Mouthguards can also be used to treat teeth grinding and clenching, which can cause damage to teeth and lead to jaw pain or headaches.
Overall, wearing a mouthguard can help protect your teeth, mouth, and jaw from injury and promote optimal oral health and overall well-being.